Saturday, December 10, 2011

Tubular Travel Time & Rainbow Snap

Check out Christopher Taloa, Matt Mohagen, and Kim Magin and their approaches to a "secret" South Bay spot.

 A hollow space, for a few fleeting moments
 Whenever Hippy Tree rider Matt Mohegan does a turn...
 a rainbow appears.
 (Check lower half of the second and third frame for proof!  Sorry, but it wasn't the coveted double rainbow of YouTube clip fame--maybe next time.)
 Hawaiian professional bodyboarder Chris Taloa's riding fit this oddly-shaped, warping wave perfectly.  Here, he parks it in the shorepound at the end of a long ride.
Kim Magin earns the closing shot, however, as he was able to pull inside a wave while riding within very close proximity to the photographer.

--FIN--

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marcus - great timing on these water shots. Don't be afraid to kick in closer to the surfers. When im shooting from the water I like to line up 10 to 15 yards inside my subject and work the wide angle like I would if I was shooting a bodyboarder. Beach breaks like Manhattan and El Porto are also good setups for a pole cam from behind. Especially during the early morning hours when your subjects are back lit. Makes for a nice photo sometimes. Keep thinking outside of the box.
-ac

Marcus Bockman, Editor said...

AC! Thanks, again! I appreciate the feedback. This day I was trying to get a really close angle with the fisheye when shooting with Mohagen. I was having difficulty lining up the shots, however. I lucked out with the bodyboarder, who is a close friend of mine--so at least I got a tightly-framed shot of a buddy. What you say about 10-15 yards is so true--one has to sit pretty far inside of the waves (and down the line, too) to get that "in-your-face" bash/air angle. Sometimes one is fortunate and lines up a turn or other maneuver, other times one takes what he can get! And I might follow your advice on the pole-cam idea--I've been considering getting an an extension. Thanks again for your valuable feedback.