Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Rides in the Wild Surf

On Sunday, February 28th, 2010 the following rides were executed at an undisclosed location in the South Bay...

 
Body Glove team manager Matt Chernega, wishing he hadn't in 3...
  
2...
  
...and 1.
  
Casual and upright off the bottom, an unidentified surfer turns off the bottom.
  
Another casual, upright--but strong--bottom turn executed by an unidentified surfer, likely hoping for a section to bounce off of. 
An aggressive, hopeful backdoor duck into the pocket ends in the "road to nowhere" for this unfortunate surfer--it's always worth a try, though.
  
  
 Matt Chernega, glad he did.
---
South of these brave attempts, lonely "Tanker Reef" capped, with no one courageous (or stupid) enough to attempt paddling in:

while the rough inside of "El Puerto" pumped.

FIN.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marcus, check your horizons. That is the first and foremost most important thing you should check before transmitting images to a client, mag, portfolio or your blog. When I first started shooting for Surfing Magazine, Flame would trash the slides I sent him that had crooked horizon even though I had great action. Also, your timing is off in some of the pictures you posted. Try to keep the surfer the center of focus. Framing them to the right or left looks amateur hour.
So lets recap...
#1 Keep the horizon straight, either in camera when you compose the picture or in photoshop.
#2 Peak action is what the editors are looking for. Bottom turn pictures look great at Pipe and other dynamic waves, not so much at El Porto.
#3 Keep the surfer in the center of the frame unless you are shooting from the channel at Pipe or Teahupo'o where you have a little more latitude to work with the rule of the 3rds.
I've got my eye on you.
-Chang

Marcus Bockman, Editor said...

Wow, I got a comment from THE Aaron Chang! You have no idea how psyched you are reading this blog, Aaron! I love your metal-panel print work, I've seen it on your website and would love to see it in person. When I make it down to SD sometime I will be checking out your gallery!

RE: Horizons: This is such an ironic criticism, and I'll explain why. I used to harp on people so much for it, and now I let my guard down and a legend is harping on me! Yes, I definitely should have corrected the horizons--actually, they just should have been straight in the first place, seeing as I was shooting with a superimposed grid screen. And great story about Flame. That guy was, and IS, a LEGEND. R.I.P., FLAME.

RE: Peak action: Yes, I should of just shot singles and not sloppy sequences (my camera only goes 3 FPS, making it unusable for peak-action sequence shooting). I concur with you about the off-peak action comment.

RE: Rule of thirds: I have to agree to disagree with you on this one, honestly. I like shooting off center, though maybe I should be shooting clos[er] to the center. When I shoot dead center it just seems to look, well, dead, to me. Though I do agree that sometimes my off-center shots stray to far to one side of the frame. I'll try centering more and see what happens.

Thanks so much for posting this comment, Aaron. Please do keep an eye on this blog, feel free to post any time, and I will keep all of your thoughts in mind while shooting next time! Take care!